You really do love us!!

6.10.2012

A bear, a baby and a mom


Warning there will be some anthropomorphism (learned that term in my social psych class) on this post. 

I was not feeling well today and decided to sit in bed all day in hopes of feeling better tomorrow for our first day of work. While lying in bed watching Netflix buffer, I heard the most horrible screeching sound. I thought at first it was just annoying sounds from some tourists but the sounds persisted and got louder. I jumped out of my bed and saw, out my window, three elk, two male and one female, galloping toward a bush. I heard some people talking on the street saying they saw a bear in the area. My jaw dropped… a bear?...this close? I watched as the female elk ran around and around the bush looking in it and then looking around and the bush and then looking at the males. It was as if she was wondering what they could do. In response, they turned in opposite directions and galloped away. She continued to circle the bush looking around, for what, I’m not sure. The baby continued to screech and so did the mother elk. She was helpless. No one or thing was going to help her child. Two park rangers showed up a few minutes later and confirmed what the tourists said about the bear. My heart went out for that poor elk. She walked back and forth across the terrain searching to something…perhaps help. Her ears perked constantly she walked back and forth unable to find any help. As I was watching this happen, (and admittedly crying…and still am) my heart went out to this poor helpless mother elk and then it turned to the mothers who have lost a child. It went out to helpless mothers who have a sick or dying child and the agony they must feel. How they must constantly search for help for their child. Never wanting to leave their child, for fear they may lose them when they are away, but also walking away searching for help and not knowing which way to turn and so they do circles…whether figuratively or literally, they do circles searching. I saw her as the night came wonder off to where I could no longer see her and then appear again standing right by the bush. My thoughts went to God and wondering why killing has to be part of nature but knowing He knows why and perhaps I’ll learn one day. So, to all of you mothers who have lost a child, my heart goes out to you and I hope you know that God has a plan, to which we may never understand in this life, but there IS a plan.

3 comments:

Sallie said...

Loved this. Thanks!

Sadie said...

Beautiful! Thanks for encouraging crying over here!

Unknown said...

Dear Sallie and Sadie,
I am so glad you liked it. I was not sure if I should post it or not but I was told by the Spirit to post it and I hope it helped someone.

Miss Y'all,
Jess!