You really do love us!!

7.08.2012

July Birthday Shout out!

This week July 4-8


We are no longer affiliated with Dep or LA Looks…it’s a long story that involves a bear, a piece of gum and a paper clip. I don’t wanna get into it; just know….we won. For the Fourth of July we had to work. Stinky, I Know…but it wasn’t too bad. It was super slow...like read 6 chapters in my book slow and everyone at work was in a good mood. We’re in Mammoth and they do a “parade” every Fourth which we didn’t go to because we were getting ready to go to work. The parade started at  8:00am. Only big city parades can get away with doing it that early in the morning. These people are on vacation and I’m pretty sure most of them don’t get up that early. Especially if the parade consisted of a grand total of 10 people walking around the hotel and cabins and then ending up in front of the hotel and singing (off key) the Star Spangled Banner. Mike said they used to have an awesome parade where they would bring the horses out and a ranger would be in it and everything…had they told me I would have gladly put something together. People were calling in days before the 4th of July trying to get in the park, which Mike and I never understood because the park doesn’t do anything for the 4th…but to each their own. Despite the lame parade, we had a great 4th. We when to the Gilbert’s and ate yummy food and then played a mean game of badminton…emphasis of the BAD. David Gilbert thought he’d be funny and said, “The first person to hit me with the birdie gets the first piece of pie.” 10 minutes later he was regretting that statement when his daughter (who was on his team) whet to serve the birdie and hit him WACK on the back of the head. I earned the second piece when I was serving and hit Sharon Gilbert in the stomach (she was on my team too). Lori Doss rocked it out that day. Pretty sure we won because of her. We weren’t supposed to be keeping score…but I’m 99% positive our team won. Happy late 4th to everyone.

We don’t mind our jobs but honestly, we didn’t come here to work. So working 11 hour shifts isn’t our favorite thing to do in Yellowstone. I almost…ok I did, had a few hours of self-pity and homesickness. We get home at 6:00pm and we’re too pooped to go out and do anything.  Luckily, we have an awesome boss, Lori. She understands and is willing to work with us on the schedule. I find it interesting that the more money one earns working for Xanterra, the more they take out of your paycheck for rent and such. We just as soon work 20 hours a week and still get the same benefits that all the other employees are getting working 40 hours. While they're working, we’ll be hiking out in this beautiful country. Sounds fair, right?

We went out for Angel’s birthday Saturday night. He’s from Bulgaria and is known for saying ool instead of owl and for being Bulgarian. His girlfriend, Bethany surprised him and had one of the cooks make him this amazing yellow cream cheese frosting with strawberries on top cake. It was gone in a matter of minutes. One of the girls bought a TON of glowsticks and we had a blast with them. Allison even did magic tricks for us. I can’t express how funny that was. Mike said he would describe it as, “the worst possible magic show on the face of the planet.” It was pretty awful, but I haven’t laughed that hard in a while. (Meaning not since the 4th when Dave got WACKED in the head with the birdie)


 Also, this is a birthday shout out! Happy birthday to Nathan R. Mickle, Buster Rock Wilson, Jacob R. Chavez, Robin G. Wilson and Jess R. Wilson…yes I said it to myself. Notice we all have an “R” middle initials…except Robin….oh Robin, always gotta be different. AND some awesome Uncles: Rodney R. Chavez and Randy R. Garrison…  Also awesome July non-family members: Walker R. Wright, Alice R. Dutton, Carla R. Cullum, Greg R. Severn, Garrett R. Ferguson (same birthday, he’s a few hours older than I am), Sarah R. Bolton, Judy R. Gwilliam, Angel R. Andonov…and everyone else who has a birthday in July with a middle initial of R. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I’ve informed Mike that this is my birthday MONTH…meaning I get whatever I want for the WHOLE month. He just rolled his eyes because I think he feels like it’s always my birthday month. 



Mike also gave a talk today at church about the 12th Article of Faith. Try making that interesting while not talk talking about politics. He did an amazing job, though. (as if there was any doubt) If you don’t know what the Articles of Faith are you can click here and read them. They’re the basic beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Tomorrow we’re going to Hellroaring Creek and we’ll hike about 15-20 miles over the next two days. My first backpacking trip…Wish us luck. 

Lastly, we saw a full on Double Rainbow. 
ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE SKY!!!!

   

No comments: